Pages

Search here for anything in my blog

20.3.07

to read


I cannot recall how I got myself to read The Alchemist; whether somebody recommended it to me or did I just find it on the shelves of one of my siblings' bookcases. I had had read only fiction written by Sidney Sheldon (yes, those times in life when you discover the world of fiction through Sheldon books) Jeffery Archer, teenage books written by ghost writers and Harry potter, of course, which also I discovered late and read all five back to back. Then, one day one of our close family friends was having a very excited conversation about this guy called Dan Brown and his famous book, it seemed to me one of those big guys who type too many complicated words in one sentence and form a phrase, which I was never able to decode so I left it at that.

Dan brown, which finally found way into my house, The Da Vinci Code. A very differently exciting read. I liked what he had to say and liked his work so I read three of his books in a row, da Vinci code, angels and demons, deception point. By the way, angels and demons is the best among the three. By now I knew what sort of things I might like to read. Paulo Coelho came in line next, the alchemist, I read it and it changed my life. I didn’t become a maniac who walks around the world telling people philosophies but the truth is I am a maniac who has a lot of philosophies to tell. After reading that one book I seldom talk philosophically unless someone really needs to be told.

After the alchemist, the valkyries, eleven minutes, by the river piedra I sat down and wept and the zahir, I am still reading Coelho books at certain amount of time gaps. Note: you need the time gaps to think and absorb the material. The zahir took me very long to read, you can count 4 pages a day because it was quite heavy. I like his writing but not everyone thinks the same, it’s subjective. I usually connect with the protagonist and become it.

Paulo can tell stories through any human, male or female, child or senior, just anyone, I think he can tell stories through animals and plants too.

To experiment I picked up arbitrary books from Sammy’s shelves and began reading. This took me to read Karen Robert’s Flower Boy. Karen was a very good friend of my brother’s when I was young, then she left town and sent back the book she finished. She has written another book titled July which I want to read very much.

DBC Pierre’s Vernon God Little and Mark Haddon’s The curious incident of the dog in the night time acquainted me with yet another genre.

Last October when I went back home from the town where I study, I listed down the number of books I had read, the list ended at 28!

Okay, let me defend myself when I shay that; 28 is the approximate number since only a very tiny part of my brain is allocated to remember proper nouns. The name is shall list below and the books in italics are the one that I read after coming back here.

Nothing lasts forever
Tell me your dreams
Morning, noon and night
The sky is falling
Master of the game
Kane and Abel
the curious incident of the dog in the night time
Harry potter and the philosopher’s stone
The chamber of secrets
The goblet of fire
prisoner of Azkaban
the phoenix
half blood prince
Vernon God Little
The alchemist
Eleven minutes
The valkyries
The zahir
Fear and loathing in las Vegas
The da Vinci code
Angels and demons
Deception point
Five point someone
One night at the call centre
The flower boy
The hobbit
Memoirs of a geisha
Kite runner
by the river piedra I sat down and wept
shantaram
Maximum city

once upon a timezone

now this is the list of my reading presently, unfinished books or will-complete-some-other-time books
moby dick
veronica decides to die
eragon
life of pi
god of small things
Richard branson
Lord of the rings
On beauty
midnight’s children
interpreter of maladies

A very long way to go. Besides fiction I also love reading blogs and books on art & design. I am I very active member of the library at my own college (symbiosis institute of design) which has the best of art & design books in market right now. After joining college my newspaper reading is dead completely, I am trying my best to revive it.

(applause…louder…faint…dead)

Thank you all and I love you guys, great audience!

2 comments:

Rohan said...

nice writing.. like the way it ends.. you seem to have lots of things all packed and ready to explode.. good.. like that..

Anonymous said...

hello! I realy like your post!
I love the work of Paulo Coelho!!!! Do you know that he is launching his new
book, The Witch of Portobello, through his blog
http://www.paulocoelhoblog.com?
I found it out because i'm inscibed to his newsletter
http://www.warriorofthelight.com/engl/index.html
it's simply wonderful!
have a nice day!